What Is An AGS In My Off-Grid Solar System?
What Is An AGS And Why Would I want One?
- What Is A AGS?
What Is An AGS?
In the context of a solar power system, AGS typically stands for “Automatic Generator Start” or “Auto-Start Generator System.” An AGS is a component or feature in a solar power system that is designed to automatically start and stop a backup generator when specific conditions are met. It is primarily used in off-grid and hybrid solar systems to ensure continuous power generation, especially when the solar panels cannot provide enough energy to meet the demand.
Here’s how an AGS typically works:
- Monitoring Power Levels: The AGS continuously monitors the power levels within the solar power system. This includes the battery voltage, load demand, and sometimes even the state of charge of the batteries.
- Trigger Conditions: You can program the AGS to start the backup generator when certain conditions are met. For example, it may be set to start the generator when the battery voltage drops below a specified threshold or when the power demand exceeds what the solar panels can provide.
- Automatic Start: When the AGS detects that the predetermined conditions have been met, it will automatically send a signal to start the backup generator. The generator then begins supplying power to the system.
- Monitoring and Shutdown: The AGS continues to monitor the system, and when the conditions for generator use are no longer met (e.g., the battery voltage has reached a sufficient level or the load demand decreases), it sends a signal to shut down the generator.
- User Control: Users typically have control over the settings and parameters of the AGS, allowing them to customize when and how the generator is used. This includes setting voltage thresholds, delay times, and other parameters.
An AGS is a valuable component in off-grid and hybrid solar systems, as it ensures that power generation remains reliable even in cases of extended cloudy days, high power demand, or when the battery bank needs charging. This feature helps maintain energy autonomy and ensures that essential appliances and equipment can continue to operate even when solar energy production is insufficient.
Keeping you powered through education.